5 ideas for healthy snacks and breakfast for school and on the goAugust 26, 2021
Each year, when the holidays are over, we must deal with it again: back to school, back to work, back and forth from place to place. Fortunately, we can make it ourselves a little easier by starting the day with a healthy breakfast and bringing healthy snacks with us on the go.
If you need some more inspiration when it comes to suitable healthy snacks or a healthy breakfast to-go, this blog posts is the right one for you. You will find some of our favorite healthy snacks and breakfast ideas, to be well prepared again!
- This is how a healthy breakfast or snack should look like
- 5 ideas and recipes for healthy snacks and breakfast
- Overnight Oats with chia seeds
- Porridge with berries
- Nut-Energy Balls
- Topped Green Protein Waffles with Tomatoes
- Almond Porridge Cookies with Honey
This is how a healthy breakfast or snack should look like
The first meal of the day is an important one: if you start your day with a healthy breakfast, you will feel fit and full of energy. To keep this feeling the whole day, you can add some healthy snacks in your diet. Snacks work great against fatigue and inertness during the day, and they strengthen you and your brain wherever you are!
But how does a healthy breakfast or snack should look like? What is needed to feel statured during your school-day? We will give you four essential nutrients that should not be missing!
A good advice is to have a mixture of the following food components:
- Complex Carbohydrates
- Healthy fats
- Vegetables and fruits (micronutrients)
Why are these nutrients so beneficial and how can you add this in your diet as breakfast or as a snack? Read more about it here!
Complex carbohydrates are made up of two components: Fiber and Starch. The body absorbs complex carbohydrates slowly, which makes them a perfect provider of energy and make you feel saturated for a long time.
A good example of complex carbohydrates are oats. The saturated feeling for a long time, is caused by the fact that the fiber in oats swells up in your stomach.
Besides that, you can get your daily portion of complex carbohydrates by eating wholegrain food. If you want to make sure that you supply your body with a variety or important nutrients: look for ingredients as whole-grain wheat flour, whole-grain oats and whole-grain quinoa.
A portion of protein
The body needs proteins for different reasons. They are responsible for the cell structure of hair, skin and nails, maintain our immune system, form enzymes and hormones: too many important functions to mention. Examples of protein-rich nutrients are nuts, yoghurt and oats.
Nuts are a healthy vegan source of protein and are available in a large variation.
Besides that, eating yoghurt is a good way to spread your protein intake throughout the day. The protein contents differ for each yogurt-variants. Greek Yoghurt, for example, is richer in protein. Did you know that our Verival Muesli and Granola with (plant-based) yoghurt, is a perfect combination?
Do you prefer oats? No problem! Oats are also a good source of protein – 100g oat flakes have about 12 g protein!
There are two basic types of fatty acids: saturated and unsaturated. A lot of people think fats are bad, but in principle fatty acids should be an essential part of your daily diet. The only thing to consider is to dose the fats correctly.
A good example of food with a particularly high amount of high-quality fats are nuts. They contain a high proportion of healthy unsaturated fatty acids. Besides the fact that nuts are a very energy-efficient form of food, there are some other good things: there are many different sorts, and they are easy to stir in your breakfast or to eat as a snack!
Vegetables and fruits
Our Verival breakfast products contain many important fruits and vegetables. This is good, because they are very important!
Micronutrients can be divided into two types: vitamins and minerals. They are essential food components and must be supplied to the body through food. Fruits and vegetables, together with a sufficient supply of liquid form the basis. Therefore, you should ensure that you consume five portions of plant foods per day, to provide your body with plenty of vitamins and minerals.
5 ideas and recipes for healthy snacks and breakfast
As we know which nutrients are healthy and indispensable now, we need to know how to add this to our breakfast and snacks. The benefit of this is: it is very easy and very tasty too!
Read below five delicious tips including recipes, to make sure you have a healthy start of the day, and to stay healthy on your way!
1. Overnight Oats
Good preparation is always a good idea. If you are in a hurry in the morning, but still want to enjoy your breakfast in the morning, why do you not just prepare your meal the night before? Even if you do have time, overnights oats are a delicious fresh meal to start your day. In a few minutes you can create a delicious breakfast. The only thing to do the next morning is to open the fridge and enjoy! Here you can find a tasty recipe for overnight oats:
Overnight Oats with chia seeds
- 4 tbsp oat flakes (approx. 45g)
- 80 ml water, milk or a plant-based alternative
- 1 tbsp yoghurt
- 1 tbsp of chia seeds
- honey, agave syrup or maple syrup (for sweetening)
- fruits, nuts and seeds of your choice (as topping)
- Put water, milk or a plant-based alternative in a glass together with the oat flakes and chia seeds and stir well.
- Our secret tip: add a tablespoon of yoghurt.
- To sweeten your Overnight Oats we recommend honey, agave syrup or maple syrup.
- Put the mixture in the fridge overnight or for at least 2 hours.
- Then stir well once again, decorate with fruits, nuts or seeds and enjoy!
As above mentioned, a good example from complex carbohydrates are oats. A great addition to this: The main component of porridge are oat flakes. That is why this you can perfectly start your day by eating Verival porridge.
This results in a long-lasting feeling of saturation. In addition: warm porridge is easily digestible because it no longer needs to be warmed up by our body. With our Verival Porridges you have all nutrients in one bowl. The delicious porridges from Verival do not only taste delicious, but they are also very time-efficient and prepared in just 3 minutes!
Porridge with berries
- 50 g oat flakes
- 250 ml (plant) milk
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon agave syrup
- 150 g berries (fresh or frozen)
- First, put the oats in a pot with a pinch of salt and the (plant) milk and let it boil up briefly. Stir briefly again and again.
- Then remove the pot from the heat and add a teaspoon of agave syrup.
- Then let the porridge steep for about 2-3 minutes.
- In the meantime, wash the berries well, then put them in a bowl and puree them with a hand blender. Alternatively, you can also puree the berries in a normal blender.
- Then put the porridge in a bowl, add half of the pureed berries and stir well. Finally, pour the remaining berries over the porridge.
3. Energy balls
Looking for a delicious recipe, which is also quick and easy to prepare? As it is in the name already: those balls give you energy because of the condition of exclusively healthy foods!
- Food processor
Toppings (if desired):
- Grained nuts
- Coconut flakes
- Poppy seeds
- If you have non-pitted dates, pit them first and then put them in your food processor.
- Next, add all the other ingredients and mix well until you have a sticky mixture.
- Then form small balls.
- If you like, you can also roll the balls in grated nuts, coconut flakes or poppy seeds.
- You can enjoy the balls immediately or store them in the refrigerator.
4. Snack box with vegetables and corn cakes
Corn cakes are light, healthy and easy to combinate with whatever you like. Our Verival Green protein corn cakes do have a high protein content and are suitable as a quick snack between meals with spreads and various toppings. Here you find a delicious recipe with tomatoes, but also other toppings as cottage cheese, cucumber and other combinations are possible!
Topped Green Protein Waffles with Tomatoes
- 1 green protein waffle
- 4-5 cocktail tomatoes
- 1/4 onion
- olive oil
- sea salt
- Cut tomatoes and onion into small cubes and mix with a dash of olive oil and sea salt.
- Top Green Protein Waffle with the mix and add a little basil.
5. Porridge cookies
Looking for a healthy cookie, that tastes great? Try these almond-porridge- honey cookies with a healthy touch thanks to the valuable fiber, protein, minerals and vitamins in oat flakes. This quick recipe is healthy and tasty to eat as snack in your break!
Almond Porridge Cookies with Honey
For decorating (optional)
- 50 g white chocolate melted
- Preheat the oven to 160 °C (top/bottom heat). Cover a baking tray with baking paper.
- Mash the ripe bananas with a fork.
- Mix the mashed bananas with the ground almonds and the apricot-honey porridge in a bowl. Stir in the honey and cinnamon.
- Shape the mixture into 30 balls about the size of a walnut and place on the baking tray lined with baking paper.
- Flatten the balls with your fingers. The cookies will keep more or less this shape when baked.
- Bake the cookies in the preheated oven for about 20 minutes until golden brown around the edges.
- If you like, you can decorate the cookies with some melted white chocolate after they have cooled down.
To sum up, a healthy breakfast is the key to a good day. And with a couple of healthy snack recipes, you keep energized during the day and you no longer have to feel guilty for snacking so now and then. Our Verival products can help you with this: they make you feel good and make it taste good!
- #healthy breakfast
- #healthy breakfast to go
- #healthy snack
- #overnight oats
- #porridge gesund