Recipe: Almond Porridge Cookies with HoneyMay 18, 2021
Honey is a very versatile food. Whether as a spread, in tea or to sweeten your porridge – it is definitely a fine addition to your healthy breakfast. But it also looks good in baking. In these cookies, based on our Verival Apricot Honey Porridge, it adds a pleasant sweetness together with ripe bananas. Add ground almonds and cinnamon and you have a homemade snack for in between meals.
You can find all the ingredients and preparation steps for the cookies here:
Almond Porridge Cookies with Honey
For decorating (optional)
- 50 g white chocolate melted
- Preheat the oven to 160 °C (top/bottom heat). Cover a baking tray with baking paper.
- Mash the ripe bananas with a fork.
- Mix the mashed bananas with the ground almonds and the apricot-honey porridge in a bowl. Stir in the honey and cinnamon.
- Shape the mixture into 30 balls about the size of a walnut and place on the baking tray lined with baking paper.
- Flatten the balls with your fingers. The cookies will keep more or less this shape when baked.
- Bake the cookies in the preheated oven for about 20 minutes until golden brown around the edges.
- If you like, you can decorate the cookies with some melted white chocolate after they have cooled down.
Is honey actually healthy?
Honey is a classic that is known and loved all over the world. But the question naturally arises whether it is also healthy.
And this question can definitely be answered in the affirmative. Honey has many good properties that have a positive effect on our well-being:
- For many years it has been considered a remedy, because it is antibacterial, antiseptic and slightly anti-inflammatory.
- As a proven natural home remedy, it helps with coughs.
- It is also a natural alternative to sugar. Honey has always been used to make food and drinks sweeter. Honey is considered the oldest sweetener in the world. Because it has a much stronger sweetening power than normal sugar, even a small amount of honey is enough for a pleasant sweetness.
What’s more, honey lasts practically forever. And since it can be sourced regionally, it saves long transport routes. This makes honey a sustainable product. Verival organic blossom honey, for example, is produced from “Hektar Nektar” in Lower Austria in the course of the ambitious bee protection initiative “Project 2028”.
Almonds as a flour alternative
In this recipe, we do without flour and instead use ground almonds as a gluten-free alternative. This significantly reduces the carbohydrate content and gives the pastry a fine nutty note.
Almonds are nuts that are particularly rich in protein as well as fibre, with a high content of vitamin E, trace elements and minerals.
What is the best way to store the cookies?
If you pack the cookies in an airtight container, they will keep at room temperature for up to three days.
Have fun baking and enjoying them!
- #porridge recipe