Santa's Favourite Breakfast Treat: Oven Baked ApplesDecember 1, 2019
Whether you believe in Santa or rather in the Austrian version, the “Christkindl”, doesn’t really matter here. What matters, however, is that the Christkindl doesn’t get anything in return for bringing presents, whereas big ol’ Santa Clause is offered milk and cookies in almost every household in the US. Maybe that’s why he looks as well-fed as he does in his red two-piece despite the hard work he does.
But instead of cookies we proudly present a dish that is just as christmas-y and delicious but a much healthier alternative to have for breakfast: Baked Apples filled with Oat Flakes & Nuts and Crunchy Muesli with Orange and Acerola. Spiced with cinnamon and served with vanilla flavoured yoghurt this recipe is the surest & yummiest way to ring in the winter season. And it would serve Santa’s figure very well, too.
Santa’s Favourite Breakfast Treat: Oven Baked Apples
- 4 tbsp Verival Oat Flakes
- 4 tbsp Verival Crunchy Muesli with Orange and Acerola
- 2 tbsp ground almonds
- 2 tbsp chopped walnuts
- 2 tbsp raisins
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- a pinch of salt
- some lemon juice
- lukewarm water
- 150 g vanilla flavoured yoghurt
- 2 apples (z.B. Topaz, Fuji etc.)
- 2 tbsp honey
- Slice off the apple tops, put aside, and remove the core.
- Hallow out some more, chop up the insides and sprinkle with some lemon juice.
- Mix together oats, ground almonds, chopped walnuts, apple filling, raisins, cinnamon, honey, lukewarm water and another sprinkle of lemon juice to make the filling.
- Now put the filling into the hallowed-out apples, put on the tops and bake for about 15-20 minutes (depending on size) at 200°C.
- Decorate plates with the yoghurt (home-made version: yoghurt + egg yolk + vanilla bean + honey). Take out the apples and gently put them on the yoghurt. Drizzle with some more yoghurt and top with Orange-Acerola Crunchy.