6 reasons why almonds are healthyApril 20, 2020
- Gesund leben
- Healthy lifestyle
Almonds are not only healthy, we would even call them superfood. They are full of important nutrients, keep you young and are also considered a secret weapon for losing weight.
And because they support our health in so many ways, we love to use almonds in our mueslis, porridges and crunchies.
We have collected 6 good reasons why you should integrate the healthy nuts into your diet from now on.
- 1. Almonds are important suppliers of nutrients.
- 2. Almonds help you lose weight.
- Healthy chocolate bars (vegan)
- 3. Almonds strengthen our immune system.
- 4. Almonds keep you young and healthy.
- 5. They have a positive effect on people with diabetes.
- 6. They ensure strong nerves.
1. Almonds are important suppliers of nutrients.
It is well known that nuts generally have a high fat content. Almonds also reach almost 60% fat content. However, these are healthy fats that regulate blood fat levels and thus protect our heart.
Furthermore, almonds have a considerable protein content of 30%. With a handful of almonds (30 grams), this is about 9 grams of protein.
Furthermore, nuts provide healthy fibre, vitamins B and E as well as important minerals such as magnesium and calcium.
2. Almonds help you lose weight.
Since a handful of almonds already have 180 calories, most people cut them off their diet completely.
But they are considered to be a true miracle cure for losing weight. One reason for this is that our body only actually uses about two thirds of the calories ingested from almonds.
They also decrease the appetite due to their high fat and protein content.
This is shown in a study by the US University of Purdue. Participants ate almonds as a snack between the main meals. The control group, on the other hand, did not eat a snack between meals. Although the test group ate more calories due to the extra portion of almonds, their weight remained the same as that of the control group. The people in the test group also reported that they had less appetite.
This makes almonds not only a secret weapon for losing weight, but also a perfect meal for in between.
Another delicious snack: our healthy chocolate bars. This recipe also uses the valuable almonds for the crunchy base of the bars:
Healthy chocolate bars (vegan)
- Baking tray
- Baking paper
- 100 g Sport Porridge Chocolate-Banana
- 150 g ground almonds
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 tbsp agave syrup
- 200 g pitted dates
- 3 tbsp almond paste
- 4 tbsp coconut oil
- 4 tbsp cocoa powder, unsweetened
- 4 tbsp agave syrup
- Melt coconut oil in a pot. Add ground almonds, Sport Porridge Chocolate-Banana and agave syrup until a dough is formed.
- Put baking paper on a baking tray crumble and form one 1cm thick base with all of the dough.
- Bake the dough in a preheated oven at 160 °C for 8 minutes and then let it cool down.
For the caramel filing
- Put the dates in a pan and cover them with water. Let them boil for about 5 minutes and then drain the water.
- Mix the dates and almond paste in a blender or food processor until a creamy mixture is obtained.
- Spread the caramel mixture on the biscuit base and then place the baking tray in the freezer for 1-2 hours until the caramel is firm.
- Remove the baking tray from the freezer and cut the mixture into 12 bars of the same size.
For the chocolate glaze
- Melt coconut oil in a pot at low heat. Stir in agave syrup and cocoa powder until liquid chocolate is formed.
- Spread the bars on the baking paper and pour the liquid chocolate over them. Then put them back into the freezer for about 10 minutes until the chocolate is firm and you can enjoy the bars.
3. Almonds strengthen our immune system.
Almonds are said to have a prebiotic effect. This means that they have a positive effect on our intestinal flora. This in turn contributes significantly to a functioning immune system and thus to our health.
Since about 70% of our defence cells are located in the intestine, it forms the centre of our immune system. Not only are important nutrients transported through the intestinal wall into our blood and the rest of our body, but also pathogens and toxins are fought in the intestine.
The health of the intestinal flora depends mainly on nutrition. And this is where almonds come into play: with their high fibre content, healthy fats and other nutrients, nuts support our intestinal flora in its work.
In order for the nutrients from the small nut to be optimally absorbed, you should eat them slowly and chew them thoroughly.
It is best to choose almonds that still have their brown skin. This is because it contains a particularly large number of the valuable nutrients.
4. Almonds keep you young and healthy.
The brown shell of almonds not only supports the intestinal flora, but also keeps us young and healthy. The reason for this is the high content of vitamin E. This fat-soluble vitamin has antioxidant properties.
Antioxidants catch free radicals, which are responsible for cell damage and make us age faster. There is a reason why almond oil is often used as a base for facial care products.
White almonds also provide an enormous amount of healthy nutrients, but those who want to make use of the full power of the almond should rather leave the shell on.
5. They have a positive effect on people with diabetes.
Since almonds have a low carbohydrate content, provide healthy fats and provide the body with fibre, they are ideally suited for diabetics with type 2 diabetes.
If you combine a carbohydrate meal with the superfood, the healthy fats from the almond can reduce insulin release. This way they help you to better control your blood sugar levels.
6. They ensure strong nerves.
Besides other minerals, almonds also contain magnesium, which plays an essential role in the transmission of stimuli between nerves and muscles.
You’ve probably heard of athletes using magnesium to prevent muscle cramps.
This means that you can protect your nervous system by integrating almonds into your daily diet. This is especially easy at breakfast.
They can be wonderfully combined with porridge, for example, and there is a reason why they are one of our 8 best porridge toppings.
- #healthy almonds
- #healthy nuts
- #meals with almonds
- #nuts by Verival
- #recipe with almonds
- #recipe with nuts